Nikkei Family Magazine
Nikkei Family Magazine is a national publication devoted to the lifestyle and culture of Japanese Americans. It offers a comprehensive resource for families to learn more about the distinctive culture and history of Japanese Americans. With something for all ages, it gives Japanese American families and those interested in Nikkei culture a way to connect to what it means to be Japanese American today.
Nikkei Family Magazine is distributed throughout California, as well as parts of Washington, Oregon, the Midwest and the East Coast. It has been well received by Japanese American communities, schools, and organizations and its circulation continues to grow. It makes a great teaching tool for the classroom and library, and was recently displayed at an internment exhibit at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C.
Nikkei Family Magazine has something to offer everyone in your family:
• Feature articles on people and issues. We’ve looked inside the art and community of San Francisco artist Ruth Asawa, and at the changing demographic trends of the Nikkei population.
• Information on books and websites, crafts and educational activities to help teach young people about their heritage
• Japanese folk tales that make great bedtime reading for the kids
• Profiles of non-profit organizations in the Nikkei community
• Even favorite recipes for traditional and not so traditional Japanese foods
The publication is just a small part of the Japanese Community Youth Council’s (JCYC) work on behalf of children, youth and families of the Japanese American community. In addition to publishing Nikkei Family Magazine, JCYC sponsors activities such as:
• A national Japanese American youth conference
• A statewide internship program for college students in Japanese American community organizations
• And a Northern California network of Japanese American youth organizations and groups.